Saturday, February 13, 2010

Old photo - 6 North Main Sreet - James Bertam



Dear Jack,


Conflicting  Information:

We find no military record for James Bertram in South Hadley. There were Richard Rutherford Bertram  who lived at 11 Maple Street and Robert Bertram who lived at 43 Bardwell Street. Our Veterans Agent did a computer check and found no James Bertram in WWI  in the State  of Mass.

Our Town directories show no Bertram people living at 6 North Main Street S.H.  from 1892 until 1940 when the house was taken down.

If you provide your mailing address I will send you the military records of Richard and Robert Bertram as they possibly might be relatives of yours.

regards.
South Hadley Historical Society
John J. Zwisler





From: Jack Bertram
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 7:48 AM
To: BobJudge@comcast.net
Subject: Re: RE: Old photo

Thanks Bob.  I am in the process of translating it from his rough handwriting.  It is not easy though.  It detailed his life on a troop ship that made several trips between Hoboken NJ and France during WW1.  He was buried in Chicago listed as a Pharmacists Mate being from Illinois when I know he lived in South Hadley during the war.  You can post the photo. 

---------------------------------------------------

Feb 9, 2010 09:50:51 PM, BobJudge@comcast.net wrote:

Dear Mr. Bertram:
I will ask another member of the S. Hadley Historical Society to see if we have any record of him.

May I post the information and the photo at http://southhadleyhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/?  If your grandfather's diary has interesting notes about South Hadley, would you be able to photocopy the pages and send them to me.  With your permission, I would also post the excerpts from his diary...

I will be back to you after we check here. Thanks for contacting us!

- Bob Judge
Member
South Hadley Historical Society

From: Jack [mailto:jb1975@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:27 PM
To: SouthHadleyHistoricalSociety@gmail.com
Subject: Old photo


Hello.  Attached is an old photo I found.  My grandfather James Bertram, far right lived in South Hadley at 6 North Main St adjacent to your location.  This photo was taken in front of the house which no longer stands.  In looking at old photos of the fire station, I see that the house was there before.  My great grandmother was waked at the residence according to her obiyuary in 1907. 

He served in the US navy in WW I as a Pharmacists Mate aboard the USS Mercury.  I cannot locate his military career etc from the area.  Can you tell me if you have him listed on any rolls etc?  I have his diary from the war and he mentions how he travelled quite a bit via streetcar from the "Falls."  Thank you.

Jack Bertram Milton, MA   

No comments: