Saturday, June 13, 2009

Question about the river and shad

From: conrad85@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 12:23 PM
Subject: [Info] Shad

I am researching transportation improvements in the early days of the republic such as canals and turnpikes, and one aspect I am looking into is shad. I have acquired a great deal of information about the impact of improvements on shad in the Connecticut River, but I am writing to ask if you have or know where I can view original documents like journals, letters or diaries that describe the fishing scene at various spots in the valley, particularly South Hadley. I have been in touch with a couple of historians familiar with South Hadley, but they were not aware of any such items. A fisherman, for example, might have recorded his luck after a day on the river, a traveler might have observed the fishing activity, a lucky angler might have boasted in print about a prize catch, or a resident of one of the towns might have set down memories of when the fishermen came to the river for the shad run and the residents fed them, watched their horses or even put them up overnight. Do you have anything that might help, or do you know where I might find such materials?
Thank you.
Bob Conrad

No comments: