Monday, February 9, 2009

South Hadley High School Character Medal 1958

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Simon H. Gregory
To: South Hadley Historical Soc.
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2009 9:45:35 AM
Subject: South Hadley High School Character Medal 1958

Hello,

Please review the attachments relative to a medal I received at the South Hadley High School Graduation in 1958. I do not recall receiving any documentation at the time and if I did, it has been lost over the last 50 years or so. The presentation was near the end of the program, but I can not recall the details.

If you could provide any information about this, please let me know. I have been doing some searching and found some info on the net that may be a possibility. Since the award was given at the end of the program there could be a connection to The David E. Barney Memorial Award that was given by the class of 1950. David was a US Marine killed in Korea on 9 January 1952. If he is the origin of my medal, it is interesting as I went on to become an Infantry Officer in the USMC serving in Vietnam during 1966.

My years at SHHS were memorable and contributed greatly to my future development. Proud to be a graduate!

Kindest regards,

Simon H Gregory

No comments: