Friday, February 20, 2009

Crocheted afghan

Hello,

My great-grandmother, Jenny Bower Childs, emigrated from Scotland and lived in Holyoke. I have a crocheted afghan that she made. My grandmother always told me that her mother won first prize at the fair with this afghan. It is in near-perfect condition, but the fibers have become sensitive so I am afraid to have it out. I have kept it in a cedar chest for about 25 years. I think it is a shame not to have it shown, but the only place that would be appropriate is a museum setting. I would like to donate it to your museum, as she lived in Holyoke. My father is a geneologist and I'm sure would be delighted to provide all the details about her birth, emigration, death, family, etc.

Please let me know if you are interested in this historical piece. I can also provide a digital photograph.

Elizabeth Skinner

No comments: