Monday, January 21, 2008

Mount Holyoke College and South Hadley

Dear Noe:

Perhaps we can help you.

I will forward your email to the other members of the Board of the South Hadley Historical Society. I will also forward it to a contact of mine at the College.

The topic of the College’s “relationship with the community of South Hadley” is an interesting one. The Society has worked with the College on an interesting oral history project recently, where that subject came up. You will find some information about that oral history project on our website. Interestingly, the Mount Holyoke Professor who coordinated the project is in Japan this year, and I will send him a copy of this email, too.

Although I won’t be able to do so, I am sure that one of our other Board members will be happy to meet with you during the week of Feb. 12-19. So, you may expect to get an email from one of those members.

I hope we can help you when you are here.

Sincerely,

Bob Judge
South Hadley Historical Society
________________________________________
From: Noe ISHIHARA
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 6:59 AM
To: SouthHadleyHistoricalSociety@gmail.com
Subject: Inqury about the historical sources about the town of South Hadley

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am mailing you because I would like to know about the history of the town of South Hadley, especially about Mount Holyoke College and South Hadley Canal. I am a graduate student majoring in American Studies in Japan. Now I am doing a research on the early history of Mount Holyoke College in the light of the relationship with the community of South Hadley. Next month, from Feb. 12-19, I will visit Mount Holyoke College and around to collect some sources. Then, I would like to know what kind of historical sources that your historical society have. For example, I would like to know if you have any biographical sources about William Bowdoin, one of the member of the Bord of Trustees when Mount Holyoke Seminary is founded, and a lawyer as well as a leading citizen of South Hadley then. Or, if there are any information about fund-raising activity of the seminary and the reaction of people in the town, I really would like to see them. If you have list or catalogue of the sources that belongs in South Hadley Historical Society , please inform me so that I will be able to check them during my stay at South Hadley.

Sincerely yours,

Noe Ishihara
Tokyo Woman's Christian University
Div. of Culture and Communication
Master's course

No comments: